Preparing your manuscript for publication
Once your manuscript is written it is time to make sure that it is ready for publication. This commonly means that it is proof-read and edited. You can do this yourself, find a local supplier of these services or use one of our recommended editors/proofreaders.
It is also important that your manuscript is correctly formatted. This allows us to get your book produced without any errors and formatting issues in the finished product.
We ask that you submit your manuscript with the following formatting:
- Your manuscript should be final, edited and proof-read.
- Format your manuscript using the Times, Garamond or Baskerville font.
- Typeface in 11 to 14 point size.
- Single line spacing.
- You may use bold type, italics and underlined copy in your manuscript.
- Please do not add any tabs or indents.
- Justify pages (not necessary for poetry).
- Please indicate chapters by adding a page break where you would like the new chapter to start.
- If required you may include upto 15 black and white images with your manuscript.
- Image resolution must be 300 dpi or higher.
- Images need to be embedded into your manuscript.
- You submit your manuscript as a single Microsoft Word (.doc) document, PDF (.pdf).
- PDF files (both cover and body) must have all fonts embedded (.pdf only).
- PDF files (both cover and body) must be created by Adobe PDF (.pdf) using the default setting of “PDF/X-1a:2001".
Our proof-reading service
After spending so much time writing your book, you don’t want to have it let down by spelling and grammatical errors. Writers can often get too close to the words they’ve written to the point where they become blind to simple mistakes. It happens to the professionals, it happens to everyone. Spire Publishing has created a proof-reading service to make sure that all errors are identified and you are left with a flawless manuscript ready to publish.
What does the Spire proof-reading service cover?
Spire’s professional proof-readers will meticulously review your entire manuscript. They will look for and comment upon the following areas:
- Grammar including pronoun usage, misplaced modifiers, hyphenation.
- Punctuation including full stops, commas, colons and semicolons, question and exclamation marks, quotation marks, dashes and apostrophes.
- Consistent use of acronyms and abbreviations.
- Notes, references and bibliography.
Who is proofing my manuscript?
Spire uses a large team of professional proof-readers and copy editors. Many of our proof-readers and editors specialize in a particular type of publishing – such as fiction or reference – but they have one thing in common. All our proof-readers and editors have years of experience within the publishing industry. You can be sure that you are receiving a service of the highest quality.
What dictionary do you use?
Spire proof-readers use the Oxford English Dictionary as standard. However, if you have a preferred dictionary, we are happy to perform our proof-reading service using that dictionary.
The cost of the Spire Publishing proof-reading service
varies, depending on the length and quality of the
manuscript in question.
Please e-mail to place an order or discuss your requirements further.